Cod Liver Oil Benefits and Side Effects
Cod liver oil benefits have long been known by our parents and grandparents. At that time, all children used to drink this liquid, taste and smell of which they remember, perhaps, until now.
Today, scientists are talking about the beneficial properties of this food once again, and producers of special dietary supplements continue to actively promote and offer their product to customers. Of course, our generation is much more lucky, because this product is now produced in capsules, which have no unpleasant taste and odor.
How helpful is this oil?
Fish oil from cod liver contains the required amount ofvitamins A and D, and omega-3 for human body. And since our body is not able to produce them, the only source of polyunsaturated fatty acids for humans is food and especially oily fish. The easiest and most convenient way to fill a shortage of omega-3 is a regular intake of cod liver oil in capsules.
How does fish oil work?
Vitamin A, contained in this supplement, is necessary for our body to maintain good vision, healthy hair, skin, mucous membranes, throat, nose, digestive and respiratory system. Vitamin A has a positive effect on the growth processes of bones and tooth enamel, and also has antioxidant properties.
Vitamin D helps the penetration of phosphorus and calcium into the cells of our body, retains and maintains healthy bones and teeth, prevents irritability and unpleasant leg cramps.
Essential Omega-3 fatty acids, contained in fish oil in excess amount, have a wide range of positive features and benefits:
– significantly reduce blood clotting;
– can normalize blood pressure;
– reduce the load on the cardiovascular system;
– contribute to more efficient operation of the brain;
– help burn saturated fats in the body, thus contributing to weight loss;
– inhibit the production of stress hormones in human body;
– take part in the production of prostaglandins – substances with special anti-inflammatory properties (to help get rid of the swelling and pain).
Numerous scientific studies have shown that cod liver oil is not only a good means of prevention of cardiovascular disease, but also an effective drug that reduces the risk of diseases associated with excess weight. Above all, it was shown that oil from cod liver increases the production of serotonin – a hormone that keeps up humans’ spirit. So, considering the huge number of this oil’s benefits, each of us will find a reason to take it.
Fish oil from cod liver is prescribed in the following diseases:
– breast cancer or any other cancer;
– memory impairment;
– vitamin deficiencies (lack of vitamins A and D);
– wounds and burns (as a local remedy);
– thrombosis and atherosclerosis (for prophylaxis);
– impaired development of the skeletal system (for prevention);
– reduced vision.
Interesting facts: scientists at Sydney University have found that in children, taking this oil, the risk of developing asthma is four times lower than in their peers. And experts from the University of Wyoming have found that daily consumption of 3.3 grams of cod liver oil makes unpleasant symptoms in asthmatics much easier.
Also, Greek scientists reported that regular intake of this supplement (10 grams per day) reduces the number of heart attacks by 41%. And Korean scientists have explored that fish oil from cod liver stops the growth of tumors in breast cancer and prostate cancer.
Cod liver oil benefits are more significant than side effects
This food supplement does not cause any serious side effects. Its dangers are minimal and will not harm your body as a whole. Another good news is that most cod oil side effects are temporary and can be overcome if you’re a bit cautious.
1. Stomach discomfort. It occurs in people who take capsules with this oil on an empty stomach. Fish oil supplements work well only when they are taken after meals or during meals. Taking them on empty stomach can cause stomach upset, diarrhea and vomiting.
2. Bleeding: Excess doses of this food additive can lead to risk of bleeding. Yes, oil from cod liver and omega-3 acids have blood-thinning properties, which may cause intestinal bleeding in people who are particularly sensitive to anticoagulants.
3. The excess of vitamins can be harmful. Too much of vitamins A, C and E may be harmful to the body. Although the USDA does not recommend any particular dose of omega-3 fatty acids, it is assumed that you can take about 3-4 capsules per day. If you have a medical problem, capsules with this oil will not cause harm in any way.
4. Heavy metal poisoning.This oil should be extracted from healthy fish, free from heavy metal poisoning.
Contraindications and recommendations for cod liver oil usage
You shouldn’t take this supplement if you have one or more of the following properties of the organism:
– high content of calcium in the body;
– excess of vitamin D;
– allergic reactions and sensitivity to fish oil;
– renal failure;
– increased thyroid function;
– active tuberculosis of the lungs.
Oil extracted fromcod liver should be consumed with cautionby elderly people, during pregnancy and lactation, diseases of the stomach, ulcers, organic heart disease, acute and chronic kidney disease.
Do not take this supplement for a long time – intake should consist of several courses with intervals (usually doctor prescribes three courses per year, one month each).
What you need to know about dietary supplements containing oil from cod liver?
1. It is best to use additives, prepared by the method of molecular differentiation. This process includes verifying beneficial properties of this oil and the presence of omega-3.
2. Avoid supplements made on the basis of poor quality fish. This oil can contain mercury and other heavy metals, which subsequently will affect your health. Most high-quality supplements containingoil fromcod liver, prepared on the basis of pure cod fish. But in any case, this product must have a certification, indicating the absence of various toxins.
3. Buy supplements only in certified shops where professional counselors will provide you complete information about the manufacturer and quality of cod liver oil.